Successfully built a Hackintosh. This is the notes:
- System: Asus P6X58D Premium, Quad-core i7, 12GB RAM, dual Radeon HD 5770
- Use iBoot and Snow Leopard DVD to install. Follow the instruction on http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html, i.e.
- Set SATA to ACHI mode in BIOS
- Remove memory to only 6GB, and keep only one Radeon card
- Boot with iBoot, replace with SL DVD, type
GraphicsEnabler=Noto start the installation
- Format the hard disk with GUID partition table, then install Snow Leopard
- After installation, during reboot, boot with iBoot again, and still use
- The screen now is at 1024x768, as the video driver not found
- The complete the installation, and update SL to 10.6.8 using the combo update from Apple
- Run MultiBeast before the combo update reboots. Use EasyBeast install with System Utilities only, otherwise the system will break (a 32-bit vs 64-bit problem on kext?)
- Reboot, the video works, but Ethernet/Audio is not
- To fix Ethernet, follow http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=120647:
/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist, copy the block of Yukon-88E8053 to Yukon-88E8056 and change
0x436411ab, also the name string
- To fix audio, follow http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222761, get the zip file and put the content to
/Extra, then rebuild the kexts with kext utility
- Reboot put the RAM and Radeon card back, then everything’s ready.
Update: After putting the second Radeon card back, the boot was very slow. But subsequent boot is just fine. Probably due to cache rebuilding after hardware change.
Edit: On a second installation on the same hardware, I found that the fix of Ethernet can be done using the zip file
P6X58D Premium Extra.zip from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222761, but the audio never works (strange!). The fix of the audio, however, is to use
LegacyHDA_ALC889a-1.kext.zip (put to
AppleHDA.kext.zip (replace the kext at
/System/Library/Extensions) from http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1214. Afterwards, run kext utility to rebuild the cache, then they works immediately without reboot.